hard case vs neoprene for my MBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tinkori, Aug 27, 2011.

1. tinkori macrumors member

Debating between a speck/incase vs a caselogic/targus neoprene case. Neoprene is lighter but wont protect it during use. Hard case will be worse for heat dissipation.

Thoughts?

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I have Speck see through cases on my wife's MBP 13, my current MBP 17 and MBA 11.

The last computer, MBP 15, that I sold a few months ago had one as well and the computer looked like new.

I think it's a great way of providing some protection, mostly aesthetic stuff (not drops) without having to put the computer in and out of some sleeve every time you use it.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They do two different things.

Do you need protection when using or during transport. The hard case helps during transport, but it's not the best transport protection.

4. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Personally I'd go for the neoprene case for your 13" MBP

5. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

IMHO, the metal casing of the MBP is surprisingly durable. My powerbook G4, after 5 years, looked almost like new when I sold it (only a very few cosmetic surface scuffs). My current MBP, a little over 2 years old, still looks like new too. Unless you intend on using it in some hazardous environments (prone to drops, impacts, etc) then there shouldn't really be a reason for you to need a hard case. It's a laptop, not a piece of irreplaceable art (although I do admit that the MBP unibody design is to some degree a work of art).

I just use a neoprene case for transport.

Besides, the feel of the unibody casing is really great, why ruin that with a cheesy plastic shell?

Ruahrc

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

just get both thats what i did

speck seethru clear and incase neorpene sleeve plus, both fit together to lol

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Personally i'm going for a neoprene after i get settled in at college. When I'm using it, it's on my desk; I'm not going to be damaging the computer then.

When it's being moved, I'm either holding it or it's in my backpack; that's the highest chance of it breaking.

Other than that, the use is entirely dependent on how you use and treat the machine.

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny