Hard casing x Body cooling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B.LI, Dec 12, 2011.

1. B.LI macrumors regular

I heard that the aluminium uni body is a part of the MBP cooling system, so if i were to wrap it around with a spec case or any other hard cases, would it affect the body cooling?? :confused:

2. happle macrumors 6502a

does effect it a little bit when doing extensive tasks. but under normal use you won't notice a difference because the macbook doesn't get hot enough in the first place.

but like i said if your gaming, doing audio or video work for extended periods it definitely can make your macbook a few degrees hotter. i noticed this slightly with my last macbook. but like i said it was barely noticeable and only with extensive tasks.

----------

picture wrapping yourself in some hard plastic. its not going to keep you warm necessarily but it will definitely retain some heat.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The primary cooling is through the vents, located at the rear of the MBP, near the hinge. The aluminum body conducts heat that is radiated, but it's not problematic to put a hard case on it, as long as you don't block the vents.

4. happle macrumors 6502a

yeah i forgot to mention this.

but i was just saying that the case does dissipate heat so it will have a small effect, but nothing to worry about.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i switch between no case and my incase hard shell and I cant tell the difference in heat, I'm sure it can be proven with temp readings with case and without but its hard to see a difference in my opinion

6. happle macrumors 6502a

yeah as i stated i only noticed a difference in temps when doing extensive tasks and monitoring temps. the difference was about 5-8F max. and that was while at about 55% cpu constant.

7. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

It's not that big of a difference and it definitely is not an issue.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If it's really 5-8F difference (i.e about 3-4 C) then it would be a big deal. The MBP already heats up to around 90C during normal use (heavy load, but no artificial stress like benchmarks). If this goes up by a few degrees, it gets to the regime where thermal throttling sets in, so you actually start loosing CPU power due to the case.

I don't believe it makes such a big difference.