Hard Choice...Chance to get Mac or Pc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sako94, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sako94 macrumors regular

Well im going to get a new computer soon and i think im going to get a Mac. the only problem is does anyone know if for sure the new iMac is going to come out in January ? is it a highly chance or should i just get a super fast custom computer (Pc) right now.

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I say go for an imac. If you need it now get it now if not wait and see what happens in Jan.

The current imac is fast enough.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Weigh out what you NEED.

Are you into gaming? Get the PC.

Don't care about the OS you use? Get the PC.

Want the ability to expand / change video cards on a whim? Get the PC. Just bear in mind, just about EVERY gamer I know - by the time they get to make use of the available spots in their PC - the motherboard is no longer good enough and the end up getting a new computer anyhow.

Need something reliable, compact and secure? (without 3rd party antivirus/firewall/spam software) Get the Mac.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't know why so many people asks us about when Apple will release something.. like how the hell we gonna know?

For the most, we're just as clueless as you are, though many will speculate of possible new products cause users with experience have notice some release patterns from Apple. Other then those rumours flying about the net, no-one here knows anything.

5. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

yea thats kinda the thing i need something that wont get viruses and everything because these computers (going to get 2) are going to be used by about 5 people and will be running almost 24/7 and like what is really diffrence between mac os and windows os like why do more people prefer it?

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD, it has a Kernel, industrial strength firewall and Unix like file structures. Unlike Unix, OSX is easier to use, plus it's fairly friendly. Also... So far, to date, there are ZERO viruses on the Mac Platform.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mac OS X is UNIX (which has been doing the multi-user 24/7 thing for over 35 years), it has a crapload of cool features built into it. You can read about them all at http://www.apple.com/macosx, but a few of my favorites are Spaces, Stacks, spring-loaded folders, and Spotlight. (They all start with "s"...creepy).

What exactly will you be doing with these machines?

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

ummm...
    checking out Mac p0rn... :rolleyes:

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Everyone has different reasons for getting Apple / OSX.

My reasons: I could re-install XP and rebuild a registry in my sleep I was doing it so much. Spending a lot of money on antivirus / firewall software. Always worrying about where i navigated, and what programs I installed.

I got an Apple because my PC died suddenly (in the middle of something really important) - I got an Apple out of desperation. And have never looked back. They're easy to use, secure, and pretty much take care of themselves.

I got my parents an Apple later on - and they too have had no problems.

FYI, BOTH computers have been running for 2 + years solid. Both of them have been folding too. No problem running 24-7.

Based on your needs - I'd say the Apple wins hands down.

Not to mention - they can run Windows at the same time they're running OSX. (via Parallels or VM Ware) So those "windows-only" programs - aren't so "windows-only".

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you don't want people trashing your Windows machine don't give them administrator access. I had a retired couple that kept getting trojans on their computer until I created standard user accounts and told them to only use the administrator account to run updates or install programs.

11. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

The current iMac does not have LED-backlit lcd screen yet. Only their cinematic display at the moment.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably a good chance the next iMac will continue to be a laptop in a desktop case.

Which means if you are going to be comparing it to a desktop PC for gaming, the mobile-based iMac might leave you questioning the purchase.

However, if you wait -- Apple "might" switch to a variant of the Nvidia computer chipset that'll allow a desktop CPU -- and they might kick in a downclocked desktop GPU.

But be warned Apple does like to keep chipsets to a minimum, so the chances of sharing the MacBook parts are quite good.

aka, if the current MacBook Pro fits you needs and you'd like it in a desktop case ... wait.

13. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

buy the imac

You could also buy the imac and sell it on craigslist shortly before the new ones come out. macs keep their values much better than pc's.