Hard Choice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imofeanfean, Aug 9, 2015.

1. imofeanfean macrumors newbie

My 2011 mid iMac is failing. It freeze up every now and then. After a hard reset it refuse to boot into the OS and I have to reinstall it to solve the problem. (Already 3 times this week) I suspect the HDD is failing.
    It still works like normal most of the time but I use it mostly for work and it's the only computer I have so it's still quite inconvenient.

I plan to update my iMac after the next update originally... Now I'm not sure should I wait for the update (maybe it'll be broken before the update then I'll be forced to buy a new one) or just buy a new one right away.

2. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

What's hard about it? The current iMacs are better than your original machine in every way. If yours fails and you really want to wait for a incremental "better" machine you can do that too. Try living without a computer for a couple of weeks - yours will likely be down anyway. I do believe your drive is dying. You can pay a fee to have a new drive or SSD installed and keep on using it. With an SSD that machine would be faster than it ever was with a hard drive installed.