Hard click not registering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msalman, May 21, 2014.

1. msalman macrumors member

Hey,

I have an issue with my MBP trackpad. I never use hard clicks, rely on taps, and barely restart my laptop. I recently noticed that hard clicks aren't registering. No matter how man times I click, no response. I never had this issue before - noticed after mavericks upgrade. I am not sure whether it's software or hardware related. Any help/input would be appreciated, thanks.

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That little button wears out very often. It's like the iPhone 4 power button, iPhone 4S power button, iPhone 5 power button.. Apple isn't very good with clicking buttons.

Sometimes the battery expands, and since it sits right under the trackpad, it will keep the trackpad from properly clicking. Try removing the battery.

Then try adjusting the centertrackpad screw. If this doesn't work, try a new trackpad.

If you're cheap/lazy, just set tap to click, and "pretend" you're clicking.

Good luck!

3. Maydon0z macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my 13" 2008 Unibody Macbook. I could physically click but the trackpad wouldn't register the clicks. What worked for me was firmly pushing the trackpad downwards from each corner at once. After that giving it a couple of balled fist drops and concluding with cleaning the edges. There appeared to be some dust cropped up in the edges.

I finished it up with adjusting the screw of the trackpad by taking the battery out and testing each time if the clicks were registered.

Fixed it for free :D

4. msalman thread starter macrumors member

I will give it a try, just need to find the right tool for the screw under battery. thanks guys :)

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have a late-2009 Macbook with the same problem. In my experience, adjusting that screw after removing the battery worked only partially. Actually it started registering clicks from the bottom corners, but it's still losing clicks towards the middle region. Take care to not tighten it very much. Also, you may need two or three attempts until you hit the right position.

For removing the bottom case, battery and tightening the trackpad screw, I needed 4 different screwdrivers from what I remember. I have a screwdriver set for iPhones/Macs and don't know exactly which tools I exactly used.

I also would like to test the issue on Snow Leopard. Don't know if it has something to do with a Mavericks adjust for newer hardware that ended messing with older Macbooks.