Hard decision...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrismarle, Mar 31, 2012.

1. chrismarle macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

I'm currently waiting the next generation of Mac computers (Ivy Bridge) to get my first Mac ever.

Though, I'm stuck choosing what to buy. I have to say that my first and main idea is the 27" iMac but I have to admit that the MacBook Air is a damn sexy device.

I currently own an iPhone 4S and a New iPad (WiFi+4G, 64Gb) so I have great mobility but do you guys think I should get a MacBook Air?

I would mainly use it as my main computer (tired of many painful years of Windows slavery) so it would have all my music, movies and all my iOS apps. Also, I definitely would purchase some apps from the Mac App Store. Will I be short with 256Gb? Do I really need a MacBook Air if I own an iPad?

Also, I do not plan on playing heavy games (only games like Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, etc. ) but I could do some video editing. Also, I am blogging, reading tech news, tweeting a lot and a bit of text editing.

I think that the iMac would be better because it has a lot of horsepower more than the MacBook Air, would least longer. Also, I would take a 2Tb to be sure to have enough storage for everything. I would also like the bigger 27" display to have more room.

So, can anyone help me with that?

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

It really depends on what your needs are. Like you said, you have some portable devices already. However, they can't run a full Mac operating system. If you want a iMac, you will definitely be happy with it, no matter what. If you want an Air, you will be happy. You also mentioned that iMacs are more powerful. That is true, but I personally haven't seen a big speed difference between an iMac and an air. True, an air has a 1.7GHz processor, (iMacs have 2.5GHz or more) but the system sees it as a quad core CPU, so it is lightning fast. Think about this, too- Do you want to sacrifice screen size, ports, disk drive, and power (all of which are on an iMac or a MBP) for the ultra-portability and sexiness of an Air?

250GB should be plenty for a normal person it should be enough. I'm rockin a 120GB HD and I'm doing fine!

If you aren't too tight on $, consider a MacBook Pro. They come in 13, 15 and 17 inch models, and have all you will need.

That said... Airs are awesome and beautiful computers. I would love to own one.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

You don't need the built in screen on the iMac, you could get an external screen to the MBA. Storage space can be solved with external drives (plugged in directly to the computer or as a NAS) and isn't dependent on having a desktop.

But it really does seem like you would benefit from getting the iMac, and in case you do a lot of your text editing on the fly, just get a BT keyboard or a keyboard dock to your iPad and you will have pretty much ticked every single one of your boxes.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You have the mobile devices, and you probably have a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse. All you need is a Mac Mini to be your "anchored" computer. I've had mine since '07 without a single hardware issue. Yes, it will do what the iMac can do, and it's less expensive.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I currently own an iPhone 4S and a New iPad (WiFi+4G, 64Gb) so I have great mobility but do you guys think I should get a MacBook Air?"

Just my opinion, but since you already have an iPad for "mobility", get a 27" iMac for the desktop. More bang for the buck.

The MacBook Air is sleek and sexy and it has its place, but it will come up short vis-a-vis the iMac insofar as "horsepower" is concerned...

6. Doc750 macrumors 6502a