Hard Decision

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by foshmac, Nov 29, 2007.

1. foshmac macrumors newbie

I am a senior who uses a cell and email. Would like to get the IPod Phone but have service remaining with another carrier for 1 year. My main purpose would be for email and mp3 usage. Better to buy IPod Phone or Touch. Can I get email without activiating service using the phone, or via wifi using the Touch? What is best for my application?

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Far as I know, only way to do email on the Touch is via Safari and webmail (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) through wifi. Not sure if a hacked/downloaded iPhone email app. on a Touch would work, even through the wifi - but I'd bet no/not yet.

If you need email on the go, best to go for iPhone. Or, an alternative from your current phone provider.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The iPhone e-mail app works like a charm on a jailbroken iPod touch. Just for reference.

4. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

You should get the touch if you jailbreak it you will be able to add Mail app.
    On a side note its called the iPhone not iPod Phone.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

How does the Touch notify you when you recieve mail? I assume the iPhone vibrates or something, but I'm guessing a jailbroken Touch won't have that option?

6. steve.lawrence macrumors member

If you're going to reply to questions like this, at least make sure you know your facts. The mail app from iPhone works perfectly on jailbroken iPod Touch.

7. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

The Touch notifies you by having a number on the mail icon, along with (with another small download) a notifier in your Status Bar (top bar). The Touch has no vibrate/blue tooth/Satellite/Microphone capabilities, but other than those, it can do everything the phone can (no microphone obviously means no calls :p). If you have a phone, get the Touch. The only reason I would get an iPhone is that with an iPhone you can access the internet wherever you get service, unlike the Touch-- which needs a Wi-Fi connection.