Hard Disk Corrupted?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Weshzu, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Weshzu macrumors member

I'm a heavy user that relies on my macbook pro for my everyday use. I recently found out there are 2 operations that i cannot perform. number 1, my trash does not allow any item to stay within the trash can and any action i take deletes instantly. number 2, i realized that i cannot insert any disc without it beeping and popping it back out. I googled solutions and did in fact go to disk utility and repair disk permission and verify disk. I did at one point receive

"Invalid volume file count

Invalid volume directory count

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

I'm not quite sure what i could do at this stage and would love to get some help from everybody.

I'm petrified that i might lose everything on my mac. My friend of mine who has had his corrupted files could not open his mac. I have tons of software and music files and its outrageous that i still haven't find the time to invest in a external drive. If anybody knows if there is a good deal in canada for external let me know. This whole occurrences has gotten me shaken up.

Thanks in advanced for any helper on macrumors.

P.S. Just a little info on my macbook. Its the 2010 MBP edition 15" Intel Core i5 2.4 Ghz
    Version 10.6.8

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What you need to do is right in your post
    Also if you're lucky and it's repairable then find the time to get a backup assuming your files are important to you.

If you're running Lion then press and hold "option" to select the recovery partition.

3. Weshzu thread starter macrumors member

hi thanks for the feedback. Should i have backup files before i attempt any of that? I wonder how this started. I barely use my dvd driver. Could it a be corrupt file i downloaded online?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, before you attempt the repair backup everything to an external destination....If you have an external drive, or a Time Capsule, these will do...Otherwise get a cheap self powered USB drive....Do NOT rely on optical backups....Anyway from what you say in your post you can't use the optical drive anyway...Some ideas:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&scli...,cf.osb&fp=b05346fb77dcc0c8&biw=1494&bih=1106

Won't cost you much and you can then try the repair.