Hard Disk Failure in G5 Power Mac, need to replace it, i have some questions..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mkwomble, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mkwomble macrumors member

In my G5 Power Mac, the hard disk has totally gone and i need to replace it.. can someone point me to a guide on how to do this? Im usually a PC kinda guy so this is a bit new to me.

1) Will any SATA HDD work? does it have to be a certain brand?
    2) When the new drive is in, will it auto detect and automatically run the leopard installer of the disk?
    3) Is there anything i should be careful of or is it pretty straight forward?

any links or suggestions would be grand!

thanks in advance!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Fortunately, replacing hard drives in a Power Mac G5 is very straight forward.
    1. Yes - any SATA hard drive should work just fine, but make sure you're using 3.5 inch drives. 2.5 inch drives are too small, and won't fit properly into the drive enclosure.
    2. No. If you had more than one drive installed, and the drive that failed was the one with Mac OS X installed on it (or you had only 1 drive installed, and it failed), you will need to reinstall it yourself - just insert the disc and follow the instructions. It isn't hard at all.
    3. Remember that no screws are needed - the drives just snap into place once you slide them in.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

yup... the whole process takes less than 5 minutes. It's wonderful.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

wrldwzrd89 covered the bases well.

When you boot off of the install disc I would open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Then select your drive on the left hand pain; go to the partition tab and choose 1 partition under the volume scheme and Mac OS Extended (journaled) for the format.

Also I would buy the drive through newegg.com for the low prices.

Dual 1TB's in RAID 0 maybe:rolleyes: