Hard-disk failure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusion, Sep 20, 2009.

1. iFusion macrumors newbie

Hello there,

Im looking at buying a Macbook from a few years ago which has hard-disk issues, the original no longer works and a new one has been tested on it and that no longer works. A friend of a friend is selling it so I cant really get to look at it myself.

Is it worth buying? Does it just need a new hard-disk or is there something more serious wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

If the old disk doesn't work, and neither does a new drive, there might be more to it than just a hard drive failure. I'd say beware.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how quickly has it burnt out both HDD's?

I have a 10+ year old Dell Dimension 8100 desktop that burnt out 3 HDD's during the 4 year on site warranty and thankfully it hasn't roasted a drive since the warranty rant out... I chalked it up to a bad batch of HDD's at the time...

4. iFusion thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not sure, its a 2006 Macbook I think so about 3 years on the first one and then I assume the second one just didnt work when it was wired up.

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

The 2006 MacBooks came with a particular model of Seagate drives that were notorious for failing. Mine had two of those drives fail (original and a warranty replacement). After the second warranty replacement, I decided to get a larger drive anyway, so I replaced that one with a Western Digital that's been going strong for 2 years. The third Seagate is only used infrequently as an external scratch disk when needed. I don't trust it for anything important, given the prior 2 failures.

So it's possible that the failed drives are part of this bad batch and nothing to worry about. In your case, I would try to find out if the second drive is also the same model Seagate (mine's a ST96812AS), or if that drive can be verified to work in another machine. Without this kind of information, I'd be a little wary.

If it's the computer that's bad and can't use an internal drive anymore, then at best you'd always have to run with an external Firewire or USB drive - which is cumbersome with a laptop. And from what you've said, it's not even clear to me whether they tested it with an external drive to verify that the problem isn't something else entirely?

Definitely get more information if you can.