Hard Disk Health/Failure Apps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jess112, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Jess112 macrumors newbie

Hi there

Just wanted to ask if anyone recommends a software or app that can give feedback on the health of your macbook Hard Disk? Or even one that can alert you of symptoms of a failing hard disk before fails?

I regularly use Disk utility to verify my disk and make sure to do regular repair disk actions, though I am not sure how much this helps to maintain the health of the disk itself.

Are there any recommendations? After digging around on the internet, i see some software that have S.M.A.R.T tech software that helps with this?

2. Jess112 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Last time I asked about these things I just got a bunch of zealots telling me it's not possible / unnecessary. Here is a similar Q, where noone will give you the answer, but convince you you're asking the wrong question:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1847808

For SSDs there is nothing available AFAIK - the failure mechanisms tend of be abrupt and invisible to SW (all the potential failure info is commercially proprietary info that the drive / controller manufacturers keep to themselves). For ordinary HDD - here there should be something that perform and sector scan, but good luck finding out. On the PC side I think that SpinRite is a recommendation - if you can take out the HDD and mount it in a PC then you could probably run that safely (SpinRite itself doesn't care about the file system, but it needs the PC BIOS, so won't work with modern EFI based systems, like the Mac)