hard disk not recognised by mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sagaralone, Jan 4, 2015.

1. sagaralone macrumors newbie

Hi unusual situation here.

I have a damaged old internal hard drive of my macbook. I want to retrieve the data stored in it. I can connect it as a usb and use it as an external hard drive.

The problem is it is only recognised my windows through macdrive.

macdrive is a software which lets you read and write mac formatted hard drives in windows.

i can see my data saved safely in the hard disk. i want to retrieve the same.
    when i connect it to the windows pc , macdrive says the drive is damaged and i click on mount it anyway. and i see my data.
    whereas when i connect it to my macbook mavericks , its only detected by disk utility and not mounted and i cannot view the data saved on it.

any thoughts...
    thanks

2. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

If you can repair the disk in disk utility try that. It sounds like the HFS+ partition is going out which means it only has a few boots left in it anyway. I STRONGLY encourage you to get what you can off of it in what ever way you can. From there a disk repair will slow the decay but at this stage only a reformatting will fix the disk short of taking it to a pro shop to have them do a rebuild. We do things like that at my shop here in SLC but the success rate isn't great due to varying levels of degradation.

Good Luck!