Hard Disk ownership and permissions incorrect, help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inconsequential, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I have NO idea what is going on here after a reinstall of OS X, but can people tell me WTF is going on?

They all have different ownership's etc, how do I correct them back to how they should be?

Im getting issues sharing certain HDs, file permission issues and Disk Utility only will fix the boot disk.

Code:
    drwxrwxrwt@  8 root             admin  hidden   272  3 Jul 14:30 .
    drwxrwxr-t  32 root             admin  -       1156  3 Jul 14:03 ..
    drwxr-xr-x   1 concorderules  staff  -      12288  1 Jul 21:27 BOOTCAMP
    lrwxr-xr-x   1 root             admin  -          1  3 Jul 14:26 Macintosh HD 1 -> /
    drwxrwxr-x+ 18 root             admin  -        680  2 Apr 16:37 Macintosh HD 2.1
    drwxrwxr-x+ 41 root             admin  -       1462  3 Jul 15:16 Macintosh HD 2.2
    drwxrwxr-x  14 concorderules  staff  -        544  3 Jul 01:18 Macintosh HD 3
    drwxrwxr-x  19 concorderules  staff  -        714  3 Jul 13:30 Macintosh HD 4

Thanks, CR.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm not spotting any problems here. Owner & permissions are not supposed to be uniform for every file/directory/volume.

Or is there something more specific amiss that the lack of coffee made me overlook?

3. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Shouldn't all the harddisks have the same owner?

Im all honesty im having random issues that I can't work out, like im installing something and it disappears (CS4 suite to be exact!).

Im going to reinstall... again.

So you see nothing wrong with that there?

If so then im happy that is not the cause.

Any idea why two are owned by me and two are owned my the system? :confused:

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not knowing precisely what each of those volumes represents both physically & logically, I don't see an issue with it. Two of my volumes are owned by root, and one by me, with different permissions for each, as is by design, and depending entirely on what the volume is, what it represents at the system level, etc.

Did you note ownership & permissions before the reinstall to see a difference with what you've got now, or are you just looking at them for the first time?

5. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

1st time, I just assumed they would all be the same.

But now I work it out, HD 1 and 2 were formatted when I first got the machine from the install DVD and 3 and 4 were from inside an OS X install, so makes sense that they are owned by me not the system.

Thanks anyway :)