Hard disk problem - MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stu531, May 29, 2011.

1. stu531 macrumors newbie

Could do with a bit of advice...

Had an apparent hard disk crash yesterday - MBP just won't boot up. So I took the HDD out and plugged it into my desktop PC via SATA cables. Surprisingly, the disk was visible to my desktop, so I've copied everything off since my last backup. When I put it back into the MBP it didn't recognise it.

As it was an upgraded HDD I'd used, I tried my former (smaller) HDD in the MBP to check that. It boots up *sometimes*.

Does this sound like I've got two bad HDDs or does it sound like something else - hard disk controller?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stu

2. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

3. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

One hdd giving problems, it's the hdd, two giving problems it's something else. How old is the mac?
    It could be the logic board is going bad, I had the logic board in my 2008 MacBook pro replaced three times before apple gave me a new mac. When you say they didn't work, in what way? Were you seeing a folder with a question Mark in it at start up?

Cheers, Macjim.

4. stu531 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, all.

I got my MBP in December 09.

Yes, I got the question mark folder appearing on my larger HDD, and that still happens, but I can read the contents of that HDD when plugged into my desktop PC. When I plug the smaller HDD in, the Mac is now working, although it takes an age to get to login screen. Very weird!

Cheers,
    Stu

5. Orleafy macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Something simlar happened to me, not being able to boot and seen the question Mark folder. And when I plugged the hard drive in to another computer I could read the contents of the hard drive. My experience had something to do with the hard drive not mounting properly. So I backed up all my files off the hard drive put the hard drive back in to the MacBook and then booted it using the install disc to boot from I used disk Utility within the installer to re-format the hard drive and resintall the OS and once everything was fine I moved my files back across.

Wez.

6. stu531 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually that sounds interesting. I think I'll give that a bash. I might format the HDD first on the PC and then reformat on the Mac.

Thanks Wez.

Stu

7. Orleafy macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think that formatting using windows would work seen as Mac OS X needs a hard drive formatted to Mac OS Extened (Journeled)

This is if your PC is running windows I'm guessing.

Wez.

8. stu531 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right...

So what I've done is go to PC World to buy a new HDD. After putting it in, it's still not recognised.

Sounds like it's a proper MBP problem :(