Hard Disk Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr. No, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

I have a Maxtor USB hard drive, with the green case. I noticed it was running kind of slow several weeks ago. Last week, it ran so slow that it took over five minutes for Finder to browse through a folder located on it. Two days ago, the red access light came on, and never went off. The entire computer froze whenever the drive was connected. Today, the drive would not even mount.
    I took the drive out of the enclosure and hooked it up to an old G4. I ran TechTool Deluxe 3, including the surface scan.

All hard drive tests failed, including the surface scan, which found 827 errors (and is still counting).

Lots of data was on the drive. :( Will DiskWarrior help? I just want to recover the data. If not, would anything???

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

DiskWarrior may help. If you try it, keep the drive very cool when in use.

3. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Apple offers a in-shop data recovery service for OEM hard drives. I don't know if they will do it for third-party equipment, though you could certainly ask.

Ultimately, of course, once you either get your data or write it off, get rid of the drive and get a new one. It's odd timing, but I'm having the exact symptomology with the internal HDD of my PowerBook. In my case, fortunately there was no critical data on the drive at the time, so I'm just going to have to swallow a $70+ cost for a new HDD. C 'est la vie...

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

They do? Since when?

5. Dr. No thread starter macrumors regular

It's not OEM (USB drive, which Apple does not make). I have already bought a new one, an OWC Mercury Elite Pro.

I just want to see if I can get the data off. I am looking at two programs- DiskWarrior and SpinRite. I can load SpinRite on a PC and connect the drive to the PC. Does anyone know which program I should purchase?

Thanks!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

SpinRite may have troubles if it's formatted as HFS.

7. Dr. No thread starter macrumors regular

It is HFS+.

Why would SpinRite have problems? It says it supports Macintosh volumes.

8. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

DiskWarrior and FileSalvage have both saved me a few times -- I would reccommend putting the drive in the freezer for 15 minutes before connecting it to either your PC or Mac.

DiskWarrior is really, really good with drives that won't mount -- FileSalvage does a better job or recovering data.

I have never used SpinRite.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it says it supports Mac volumes then it should be fine. :)