Hard disk seeking -- does yours make noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iCeFuSiOn, Feb 26, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I'm curious -- for those of you with MacBooks or MacBook Pros, can you hear your hard drive seeking? I don't know if it's always been there, but I can just faintly hear mine now.

Thanks.

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I have pretty stellar hearing.... I've always heard mine (SR MBP). Especially when it's sitting on my desk at home.

3. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? I thought I was losing my mind this morning, I could just faintly hear it seeking away when I loaded up an application... but I can only hear it when the room is dead silent. Hopefully, it won't get any louder.

Needless to say, I take it this is normal?

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep i can hear mine also,but it needs to be dead silent for me to hear anything

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Every hard drive makes noise. Nothing to worry about unless it's grinding or making unusual noises outside those of normal operation.

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

If you have just become aware of it, I would take that as a sign from the Computer Gods to do a full complete backup and start looking for a replacement drive.
    :eek:
    There is a fine line between the normal read/write sounds and a total platter crash!

7. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, it's the first time I've ever used the computer in a totally dead-silent room so that's probably why I didn't notice it. I have to stick my ear to the case just to hear it.

8. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Probably normal sounds then. When a drive goes into arrest it makes clicky bangy noises that just sound wrong. You do have a backup plan, right? :cool:

9. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, everything is backed up on two different hard drives. No clicky bangy noises here, just a faint chirp... hard to describe really.

10. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else notice this behavior as well?

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Mine makes a low sorta chirp sound every now and again but its hard to discribe in words

12. macnz macrumors newbie

Low chirp is all good

It's the clicky sound that freaks me out

13. SPt11 macrumors newbie

I've noticed the chirps too...
    but my hard drive seems a bit loud. should I be able to hear it spinning when sitting a normal distance away?