Hard Disk size limit for late '07 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dborja, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dborja macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find a straight answer for this question. I'm trying to upgrade our son's late '07 MacBook hard drive. Does it work with a 320GB or 500GB drive? I know it works with 250GB because that's what's in it right now

TIA

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

it works with the biggest laptop hard disk thats out right now. probably a one terabyte i think.

you could put another one in the optibay too, but 1 terabyte is plenty if you're not a disk jockey or something like that.

4. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, both, so much! I think I'll put in only 500GB...

5. cubeeggs macrumors member

Warning: everyone in this thread is wrong.

2 TB is the limit for desktop hard drives (although Seagate actually has a 3 TB drive they only sell in an enclosure for technical limitations with a drive that size).

1 TB is indeed the limit for a 2.5" drive, but a 1 TB 2.5" drive is 12.5 mm tall. I believe the Aluminum Unibody MacBook with a removable battery can hold a drive this tall, but I think a white or black MacBook can only hold a 9.5 mm drive.

This limits you to 750 GB (although if you do get a drive this size, make sure it’s a newer 9.5 mm drive and not an older 12.5 mm drive).

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Actually, all of the unibody MacBooks (aluminum and white) will accommodate the 12.5mm format.

7. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the information. I did get a 500GB 9mm WD Scorpio so that should be ok then

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Yes, you're fine.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You would be the wrong one. SATA currently has a max addressing capability of 2Tb. This is for 3.5" and 2.5" hard drives. The only reason there is not a 2.5" 1Tb drive is because the drive makers haven't figured out how to cram so much data capaciity into so little of a size.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

IF you read what the OP wrote, you will see that he as a 2007 MacBook. These are not unibodies. The unibodies didn't come out until late 2008.

WRONG-O. The OP meant what is the biggest size hard drive that he/she can get for his/her MacBook. Not what is the maximum theoretical size.