Hard disk space fluctuates help please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ButterCake, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ButterCake macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. Something is really wrong with my Macbook and I don't know what it is. My hard disk space keeps going to 0 even when I don't do anything to it. One second it's 0 and another it's 900kb and now it's mainly 0 and I can't do anything on my macbook. I'm not really good with computers so does anyone know how I can fix it?

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Take it down and get a new hard drive put in. From the sounds of it you are out of space.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You need to erase some files or copy them off onto an external hard drive. I would say burn some CDs but that probably won't work with so little space free.

You need about 6-10 Gigabytes (not kb) minimum free for your machine to run properly, preferably more. The machine needs that free space to read and write to while it's working which is why it won't work properly now.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

900kb?! Jeez, transfer some files off onto a CD or DVD or something to get some more space, you should look at investing in a portable external hard drive. Just a cheap 160GB one or something.

5. ButterCake thread starter macrumors newbie

But the problem is I don't think that I have that little space. I restarted my laptop and now I have 4 gigs, it doesn't make sense why 0 will jump to 4gb on a restart? I didn't delete anything. It's weird cause one second I have space and all of a sudden it goes to 0. It's like something is continuously taking space on my hard disk. Anyone know what's wrong?

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Blue is right you need to delete some things or get an external HD to move files. The HD needs room to be able to move things around and cache programs and so on. If you do not have the appropriate room it will fluxuate on size.

Or call Apple and see what they say....