Hard disk space information under HD icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MatrixArchitect, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MatrixArchitect macrumors newbie

One quirk about the Finder is driving me bananas. I just recently bought a new Penryn Macbook Pro and its the first time I've had a triple digit hard drive (200 Gb). In the Finder view options in Leopard, I enabled the "Show item info" and the icon of the hard drive in the desktop displays the size of the hard drive and how much is free. Right now it says "185.99 GB, ...,27 GB free". (see jpeg)

The "..." is driving me up a wall. I can't stand that it won't display "127" and instead puts "...," in there. Is there any way to get the Finder to quit doing that?

I tried searching but I can't find anything here or elsewhere. Hoping you seasoned Mac users may know of something I can do about this. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

4. MatrixArchitect thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the quick responses!

Unfortunately, grid space is already at the largest possible.

As for system font, I downloaded tinkertool and tried to go down a few and nothing happened.

Correction: I just tried under view options to mess with the system font. I either have to go down to 11 or up to 14 or more to get the correct spacing in the text. Not really what I was hoping for, but a fix nonetheless. Any idea how to accomplish the same without switching from 12 font?

Any other ideas? Replies are much appreciated!

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'm sure within the next few weeks you'll have more than just 60GB worth of data it'll go down to a 2 digit number ;)

6. MargaL macrumors newbie

I've got same problem as MatrixArchitect... However it's gonna take me a bit longer to get rid of first digit on 500GB disk... :rolleyes:

So... is there another way to fix it?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

label position on the right with a font size of 11?

8. MatrixArchitect thread starter macrumors newbie

Other fixes

You can fix this by changing the font size to 11 and label position on bottom. I haven't tried label position right and am away from my mac at the moment. In any event, I find 11 too small and would just like OS X to display the size properly. I have caught it doing it right from time to time, but most of the time its as pictured above. Any ideas are appreciated!

9. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

ditto...this is what i have mine set to and it's generally ok. depending on the amounts, or width of the numbers, it displays the ellipsis.

In related news, the first number doesn't change for me when i delete from the computer (and empty the trash). only the second number changes. it's true for my HD as well as .Mac network drive. Any ideas?

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I use font size 11 and bottom label position.

Very readable, and lists the full GBs available.