hard disk space

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
When I install Tiger, after the installation, what happens to hard disk space taken up by Panther?? I have read basically every thread on Tiger on here, but I did not come across this. Is space still taken up that can be manually deleted, or does the installation process automatically delete the old OS, Panther?

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
it depends what kind of installation you do. AFAIK only when you do Archive and Install will Panther take up space (it's in the 'Old OS' folder)

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
john1123 said:
it depends what kind of installation you do. AFAIK only when you do Archive and Install will Panther take up space (it's in the 'Old OS' folder)
After one does the archive and install, can he delete the "Old OS" if he wants (this is most likely a really dumb question)?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
auxplage said:
After one does the archive and install, can he delete the "Old OS" if he wants (this is most likely a really dumb question)?
You will have a folder /Previous Systems/Previous System 1/ (or "1" may be a higher number if you've done this before) in your root directory. You can drag it to the trash when you're convinced you don't need it anymore. This is the "archive" part of archive and install -- everything will be in there.