hard disk upgrade questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metalbean, Jul 16, 2017.

1. metalbean macrumors newbie

metalbean

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Neither. It's a proprietary Apple form factor drive.

I think OWC might do a replacement, but the performance isn't as good as an Apple original.

3. Hemens macrumors newbie

Which model MacBook Pro ?
    Old Models with Sata drives wherein most of are hitachi sata drives can be upgraded to higher capacity but models with ssd drives and apple controller then not advised as lot of performance issues, hope this helps.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Given the existing one in the picture is a PCIe 2x one, I'd say it's a late-2013/mid-2014.

5. treekram macrumors 65816

As mentioned by the other posters, neither of the products you have linked will work in your MBP. Your options are the:
    1) OWC Aura (as mentioned in post #2)
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2013-2014-2015

2) Buying a used Apple SSD from Ebay or similar site.

3) If you are the adventurous type, there is an adapter available but there's numerous conditions, one of which is finding a 1TB AHCI drive or perhaps a 1TB NVMe drive with the beta High Sierra and hoping it works when the product High Sierra comes out. It seems some drives work with some MBP's work, etc., etc. If you want to know more, ask and I can post links. By the way, I wouldn't buy the 960 Evo, even if it were able to work in your MBP. Because they use TLC vs. MLC NAND chips, they run hotter and the 960 Evo's have an issue with early failure (mainly an inconvenience if you buy it from a good retailer).

6. metalbean thread starter macrumors newbie

metalbean

Thanks Magicboy,

So looking at the picture I can go with a PCIe 2X? Instead of needing a OWC Aura mentioned by @treekram.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2017 ---
    Hi Treekam, thank for the advice :)

I am not sure if only OWC Aura can help, since looking at my settings a PCIe should work too. Nonetheless heaps of advice needed

7. EgGKeith macrumors member

Yeah...
    OWC might have Over Hear problem...

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It uses a proprietry connector that only apple use, PCIe will not work as is without an adapter.