hard disk vendor: ibook g4 replacement hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mattsajay, Apr 13, 2008.

1. mattsajay macrumors member

my ibook g4 hard drive died a few weeks ago. i am doing the homeowrk for replacing the hard drive. what vendors / online stores and hard drive makes do you guys recommend?

2. aelegg macrumors newbie

3. hmai18 macrumors 6502

4. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

theres no way, i will take the risk of doing that on my own. i would rather pay a hundred bucks! (well otherwise, i am a cheapster, but not in this case)

i was asking for vendors... i will check out newegg, i have gotten stuff from them before.... pretty decent...

i remember a site that used to offer compatibility charts (i.e. whether a particular hard drive is compatible with an ibook g4) prior to the laptop hard-drive purchase... does anyone remember which one it is?

what is the feedback on " other world computing"?

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Where could we go to get the HD replaced? I have an iBook with a 30GB drive that I'd like to upgrade but man, that process looks absolutely daunting.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If you want to have it replaced, I'd could do it for you. I've done it plenty of times already :D

I think the G4 ibooks were not limited to the 120gb hard drive the G3s were so you can get as big of a hard drive as you can afford or find. It has to be an IDE/ATA drive though. SATA drives like in the MB/MBPs will not work.

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

It's really not as hard as it looks on iFixit. The trick is having the right screwdrivers...

I replaced mine with a WD 120GB Scorpio and it works fine.

8. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

which one?

yeah, you bet the process looks daunting... i will not risk it trying it myself..

TOSHIBA MK1234GAX 120GB 5400 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

or

HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 HTS541616J9AT00 (0A28419) 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM