Hard disks setup ideas for 27" 2011 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 88 King, Jun 18, 2011.

1. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Hi all,

I’ve order a 27 inch imac to replace my current PC, I’m looking to add a SSD and 2 Momentus XT hybrid 2.5" HD to the machine. I’d love to get some feedbacks to see if my idea would work before the machine gets here by 28th.

From reading threads on the is forum, my ideal setup would be to use my current 128Gb SSD as boot disk for OSX, Windows 7, and assign a Momentus to each OS.

I’ll replace the 1 Tb HD with the 2 Momentus using a mounting bracket list on this forum and run another SATA cable though the RAM slot window on the bottom of the machine and mount the SSD externally. This way I don’t have to dissemble the motherboard to install the SSD, also allows easy upgrade to 256Gb SSD.

Can anybody suggest any problems with this setup or have any suggestion? I’d also like to have some feedbacks on possible problems with fan speed please.

Thanks for reading my first post and looking forward to get my hand dirty on the imac.

2. mike457 macrumors 6502

Frankly, you are brave to be planning to do this. You should read this article first, and you should read the article it references at OWC. Replacing hard drives in an iMac is not for the inexperienced, especially as it voids your warranty unless done by an Apple authorized repair centre. Note the problems with replacement hard drives and thermal sensors in the 2011 iMacs. Do you realize how little space there is inside an iMac?

If you still want to try this, best of luck, but I wouldn't.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Whats the goal in adding the slower and smaller Momentus XTs again?

You have each OS on the SSD, so the XTs are just going to be used for storage?

Im sure you realize The tiny 4 GB of flash memory on the XT doesnt work like/as fast as a traditional SSD, right? Its supposed to be used as a system drive, not a storage drive...

4. 88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

The removal of the glass and LCD does not look too difficult, and the hard drive swap is very straight forward. My main worries are that the hard drive fan will spin at maximum and I'll end up trap dusts between LCD and glass.

I want to mount two 2.5 inch drives in place of the stock 3.5 inch drive. This because I want to keep programs and files separate between the two operation systems.

I'm hoping that the flash memory on the Momentus XT will cache my most used programs and files, therefore make it much fast at reading data than the stock HD. Also it will operate quieter than the standard HD.

Plus 2 500 Gb Momentus XT drives gives me 4 times the space at only half the price of a good 256Gb SSD.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could just leave the standard 1TB hard drive in there and partition it in two 500GB sections. Anything that would benefit from the extra flash memory in the Momentus XTs should already be on the SSD anyhow. There are also not that many SATA cables in the iMac, so you would run into issues there.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You are really trying to make the iMac do something its not designed to do.

From everything I have read, the XT only caches if those are on the system drive, not plain storage drives.

And again, comparing an XT to a SSD is not applicable. XTs are *barely* faster in straight speed than other 7200 RPM 2.5" drives. They might be quieter, they might not. Unless you are unlucky enough to get a loud drive in your iMac, odds are very much in your favor that you end up with a nice quiet drive.

Oh, and FWIW, removal of the glass is the *easiest* part of the whole disassembly. takes 5 secondss.

Sounds like you arent exactly clear on how OS X treats Windblows when installing via Bootcamp? it automatically creates a partition for you and lets you size it right from the get go. Im assuming you only want windblows to game on? Right? so thats a lot of booting/rebooting. ugh. Take the $200 that you were going to spend on the XTs and sell your current SSD for $100 -- that $300 puts you close to a nice 256 gig SSD. Skip the 6G SSD and go with a 3G. Still plenty fast.

7. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

As others have said, this is not a great plan. I have two alternatives.

1. Return the iMac and order one with a factory installed SSD. If that's what you want, your time, effort and potential failure aren't worth the risk. I've also read very mixed things about the hybrid drives.

2. Get an external SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure and use that as a system drive. It should be just as fast as an internal SSD. (Faster?)

8. 88 King, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

Thanks for all the advice, I think a 256Gb SSD for the OS and leave the stock HD for media files is the best solution. This also solves the penitential hard drive fan problem with XT drive.

The Apple factory SSD cost £480 which is close to $800, and it’s just too much for my pocket. Especially since I can get a Crucial C300 256GB SSD for under £300.

I’m familiar with running Bootcamp in OSX. I’m planning to run Windows 7 using VMware most of the time as I need to run Visual Basic and some other programs.

I’m looking to follow the excellent guide posted by wirelessness to add an eSATA Port.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1021930&highlight=

Does anyone know a good Apple repair shop can do the modification around London Uk without void the warranty?