Hard drive accessing data the whole time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, May 3, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

For a good while now my primary hard drive has spent a lot of time accessing data when I'm not doing anything in particular. I can hear it now, making the hard drive noises that a drive normally would if you were telling it to access data but the only things I have open are Safari, Firefox, TextEdit and Activity Monitor. In activity monitor, both the data read and data written graphs keep fluctuating up and down.

Is there any way to find out what process is doing all this data access? Any suggestions on what it might be? Its getting mighty annoying and I'm sure its not doing anything good for my hard drive. Sometimes it gets so caught up in data access that programs I use suffer performance wise.

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Awesome thanks. It turns out that Leopard is constantly using build_hd_index to create an index of my files. So everytime a Time Machine backup is done (i.e. once an hour), build_hd_index goes to index all the files on my backup disk. This basically means it runs non stop. I haven't found a way to stop it yet. It really is ****ing annoying. My mac used to be so darned quiet, now it makes a racket due to this one sodding process.

4. Mealmh macrumors newbie

Suggestion found online

I found a suggestion online, to remove executive privileges, which the poster says had no effect (although he did say that he tried chmod 000, with disastrous consequences when his computer was updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2):

sudo chmod a-x /System/Library/\
    CoreServices/RemoteManagement/\
    ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/build_hd_index

Can anyone vouch for this fix?

build_hd_index is sucking up 2-6% of my RAM constantly.

5. Mealmh macrumors newbie

Fix

In the hour since I noticed build_hd_index (I just updated to Leopard recently) and the 15 minutes since I posted my find here, build_hd_index has been going crazy with my cpu (up to 25% at times). I tried the fix, you have to quit the build_hd_index process in Activity Monitor and then "chmod" and et voila.

Some people online suggest that it is an issue with Apple Remote Desktop that cause the odd behavior of the "build...." function but they don't suggest a fix.

As I am able to post this, there has been no side effect of this fix. I will keep you updated if issues arise.