Hard drive advice for a 2011 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KevinRightWing, Aug 9, 2016.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

My motherboard died and I just got back my 2011 17in mbp from apple. Everything repaired free of charge and they even gave me a new battery.

Since I basically have a new computer. I would like to upgrade the 5400rpm 750gb hard drive that came with the computer. Obviously SSD's are all the craze. But are the 1 TB hybrid drives a good idea or bad if you want more storage capacity?

Thanks in advance!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Hybrid drives don't hold a candle to a true SSD.

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Buy an SSD and max out the RAM. I'd personally get a Samsung 850 EVO and 16GB of DDR3.

4. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

The Sandisk Ultra II at 960gb is only $217 on Amazon right now. The 1 TB Samsung version is over $300. Any reason why I shouldn't by the Sandisk version?

5. hkrebel macrumors newbie

hkrebel

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Bad idea. If you want "best of both worlds", better to get a 120 GB SSD and supplement with a 1 TB HDD in the optical bay.

- Samsung is faster, more stable, and has longer warranty. Ultra II is a decent middle of the road drive, but it's a discontinued product. It will still work fine, though.

7. rex450se macrumors regular

I just added a Samsung 850 Evo and 16gb of ram to my early 2011 MBP and couldn't be happier. I just bought the laptop and after the upgrades I've got less than $500 in it and it should run great for awhile.