Hard Drive Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steve Jobs., May 15, 2010.

1. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

As of now, I have about 94gb free on my stock 5400 rpm 250gb (really 210) drive that came with my June 2009 2.53ghz 15inch MBP.

The drive is fine and everything but i am going to college in the fall and i can foresee this drive filling up to capacity in the near future.

I have a couple of questions about the way i can handle this.

1) External vs. Internal Drive
    -Ideally, i would like to keep everything internally stored so i would always have it with me when i need it but if anyone can explain to me how an external drive would be beneficial, then i will look into that. Note that i do keep alot of music stored (30+gb) and download alot of movies and whatnot.

2) 5400 vs 7200rpm
    -yes its the age old debate about which drive speed to get. One one hand you get speed with the 7200 drive but i heard you also get more noise and vibrations and slight decrease in battery life. Right now, im quite happy with my 5400 drive but if i upgrade then i feel like i have to get a faster one (if that makes any sense).

3) Which models would you all suggest?
    -Brand/model?

4) I was thinking about getting a 500gb drive but i was also looking at a 750gb model and i haven't even seen a 1tb model for laptops yet. Which size do you think i should get?
    -this question is purely opinion because you guys don't really know my needs. either of those sizes would be a drastic increase over my 250gb drive so i would be happy with any of them but i guess the 1tb (if it exists) would be the most "future proofed" of them all.

5) If you are Vietnamese, i would like to have a word with you.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

If you search, someone put together a buyers' guide together.

Personally, I have the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB drive in my MBP. Have had it for 6 months, no problems. I also have a 500GB LaCie D2 external as well. I will need to buy another external sooner than later.

Just do a search, this is brought up 23x a day. I haven't any experience with the WD drives.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Internal all the way as you have less to carry

2. 5400rpm is IMO enough, 7200rpm tops out at 500GB

3. Western Digital and its Blue series

4. 1TB

4. wee-man macrumors newbie

Why do you want to have a word with a Vietnamese guy?

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

They seem to have gained a backdoor entrance to Apple manufacturing contractor. Haven't you heard?

6. piwi macrumors regular

What? Can you tell us more?