Hard Drive Advice! Plz Look!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Finlandboy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

Ok so i'm pretty sure my powerbook g4's hard drive is dying and i am looking for a replacement. i have looked around the web for a few days and newegg.com seems to have the best priced hard drives.

i have searched the site and narrowed it down to this page of hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380+1035907889+4026&name=%2450+-+%2475

here are a few questions though:
    1. i am pretty sure all of the drives on this page are compatible with my aluminum 12' powerbook g4 (ex: connection type, mac/pc, etc.); if not plz let me know

2. i am only willing to spend between $50-$75; on this page all the hard drives are between that price range but they vary in size (60gb all the way to 160gb); so why are some of the bigger sized drives the same price as the smaller sized drive? does the company brand really make that big of a difference? which brand of hard drives are better than the others?

3. if you know of a better site where i can purchase a hard drive plz let me know

thanx for reading and any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

check and check again (or is it cheque?)
    anyhow, look at the cache size and rpm, important stuff.

happy maccing

3. Finlandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

thnax, i want a 5400 rpm drive (7200 people say gets to hot and drains battery) and i really have no clue what the cache size or 'important stuff is'? :confused:

4. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Good point, didn't consider the battery,
    go here for an explanation of 'cache' or 'buffer'
    http://www.vtec.co.uk/hard_disk_cache.asp

5. Finlandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

thanx, that site helped, i always wondered what 'cache' was, now i get why its important

does anyone have a suggestion of the drive i should get i need to know soon before my current drive dyes, :(

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would go to OWC and select from their upgrade page your powerbook. by that you get the correct HD.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Models.cfm?TI=3038

prices should be pretty good. of course you could try to find the HD they suggest somewhere else cheaper but OWC is a really good place to buy mac stuff.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

a basic idea of cache is that its a type of memory that holds small amounts of data so that the hard drive can perform faster.

i would recommend anything by hitachi... best out there IMHO, seagate follows closely.

8. Finlandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

ya, they were a option if no one thought that newegg.com was good, but i wana try to avoid OWC (just recently ordered a battery from there and long story short i'd rather go else were now), but thanks

9. minicoop503 macrumors regular

Any of those hard drives should be fine.

I recently bought a Samsung Spinpoint drive for my desktop, and its very fast and quiet. I've also used maxtor drives, and those have been very quiet.

As far as cache goes, don't worry too much. I only saw 1 drive on that list that had 2mb, which is low. 8 mb is pretty much standard these days, with 16 and 32 as the higher options.

I have a 16 mb in my pc, and I don't really notice a difference that much between my old 8mb drive and the new 16 mb. Maybe a little bit faster start up and loading in games, but that's about it.

10. Finlandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

After looking over Newegg and OWC, the hard drives on Newegg's site seemed to be cheaper.

Alright i have narrowed my choices down to these three (120gb is probably a little over kill for me but it was only around a $15 difference between 80 gigs and 120 gigs, :D)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380%201035907889%204026%201309721216&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16822145176%2CN82E16822136130%2CN82E16822148130R

Any ways i've been advised that these three manufacturing companies are the best but between them i don't know who to choose.

The Seagate i heard is the best overall (guess it depends on who u talk too), but it is 'Open Box', which makes me nervous. :(

And does OEM at the end of HDD title mean anything important?

11. Finlandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i really hate to double post, but plz will anyone answer, im stressing out b/c my hard is on its last few breathes and i need my mac running for a school movie :(

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9