Hard Drive Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oneofthesedaves, Sep 3, 2011.

1. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

I have a late 2009 MBP with a 320GB HD. I'm running out of room and was considering installing a 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience to share. If you were me, what would you do?

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Momentus XT. Awesome hardware. I didn't realize anyone sold 1TB hybrid though.... you sure about that?

3. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. I just assumed somebody was making one that large. I searched for one and couldn't find one. That sucks. I guess I'll have to go for a 500GB. I've read that some folks have had firmware issues with the Momentus. Any issues?

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I've had absolutely no issues with the shipped firmware (SD26). I've never updated the firmware, it's been a great drive. Yes, people have had issues with it, but a lot of people haven't. I got mine here. I wanted a higher capacity one too, but I have tons of space left over still and use an external drive if I have huge files. Even so, it's a nice drive!

5. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

Have you noticed better performance verses a regular HD?

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Oh yah, definitely. I tested it against the stock 5400 RPM drive and a WD scorpio black 7200 RPM drive, (running snow leopard at the time), both 7200's tested faster than the stock (predictably), but the Hybrid was a leap past the WD drive. Definitely recommended.