Hard Drive Advice.

slvdr86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I've had mine for about two years and up untill a few months ago it was some real smoooth sailing..... Then for some reason it just decided to go nutz one day. Blue screen / globe / question mark / fan noises.....the whole nine. So anywho after taking it to the mac store and having it tested I was told it was time for a new Hard drive. I'm looking for something nice maybe in the 2$-4$ hundred range. But i don't know a thing when it comes to macs', this is the first time i've had to build upon the stock design. Can someone help out a struggling n00b? thanks. :p

jvencius

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I've had mine for about two years and up untill a few months ago it was some real smoooth sailing..... Then for some reason it just decided to go nutz one day. Blue screen / globe / question mark / fan noises.....the whole nine. So anywho after taking it to the mac store and having it tested I was told it was time for a new Hard drive. I'm looking for something nice maybe in the 2$-4$ hundred range. But i don't know a thing when it comes to macs', this is the first time i've had to build upon the stock design. Can someone help out a struggling n00b? thanks. :p

What kind of mac do you have? That'll make a difference since there are different form factors and interfaces that Apple has used through the years.

A lot of folks on here (not me yet, I've only had my mac for <2 days) like the service from HERE so I'd give 'em a look.

Merser

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
I'm looking for something nice maybe in the 2$-4$ hundred range. But i don't know a thing when it comes to macs', this is the first time i've had to build upon the stock design. Can someone help out a struggling n00b? thanks. :p
I must start by saying that I have yet to use it so take this advice for what its worth... next to nothing technically, but I did put quite a bit of research into its purchase.

I have recently been in the market for an external hard drive and after many forum threads on mulitple sites I was led to www.macsales.com

I purchased their OWC Mercury Elite Pro AL 500gb which is nothing but a Western Digital Caviar SE16 in a great enclosure. Quite a few sites give the WD Caviar SE16 great benchmarks and reviews. All and all I spent about $195 HD + enclosure) on it. If I had the 200-400 price range I would probably opt for a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST3750640AS/) which goes for about $225. Plus seagate has a 5 year warranty as opposed to WD's 3 year.

All in all I found a common theme in many of the threads... watch out for maxtor...

slvdr86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
yea this should help. I have an IMAC G5 W/Isight. I'll check out that link /\, thanks.

wallaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
last attempt, anyone think this would be a good/bad buy?
Why are you so worried what everyone else thinks? If you've done your research, then just decide.

Seagates are good, 750GB is a great amount of space, and as long as your G5 iMac takes SATA hard drives, you should be good to go. Just make sure it's not regular ATA.