Hard drive, apple tv questions? What to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stolari, Feb 5, 2008.

1. stolari macrumors newbie

Hi all

Well, I am new to macs - got my first macbook about a week ago.:D Loving it I have to say - I will never go back to Windows.

Anyway, I need a decent external hd for time machine backups etc. I was wondering if i grabbed a 500gb hd (my macbook has 120gb), would i be able to use it with time machine and also apple tv or will time machine need the whole hd so I'd have to buy another for backing up my films and music for apple tv?

Sorry if its a newbie question, i have searched but i'd just like clarification before I splash out on a hd and apple tv,

thanks

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I just bought a MacBook back in November. I'm buying an Apple TV this Friday (payday!). I just bought a Western Digital 500 GB myBook on buy.com today (it was on sale for 112, don't know if it still is?). You sound just like me. I'm going to try and use it for time machine and backing up all the movies I've been ripping this week. So hopefully it will work.

3. stolari thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, you will have to let me know if it works - I also have to wait till payday (or the fiance will kill me!)