Hard Drive Back Up-NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jecodob, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jecodob macrumors newbie

Hello

I have a problem i am trying to solve.
    I have mac book pro i would like to have automatically back up to and external hard drive...

But i do not want to connect with USB or Fire wire, I would prefer to do it wireless with a NAS drive is this possible. I do not want to have to connect more wires all the time. I would like it to automatically back uo with time machine when i am at the office.

Anybody doing this and what hard drive do you use.

I also have an exchange server but time machine will not recognize the drives.

thanks

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

3. jecodob thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Moocher macrumors regular

That's what Time Capsule is for!

Or, hang a hard drive off an airport extreme.

Simple and works great.

Mooch

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If price is a concern, it would help to know what your limits are for price, and how much work you're willing to do on your own.

My NAS consists of a Dlink DNS-323 with two WD Caviar green drives (640MB each), put together for less than $300US. I've had to spend some time tweaking it to my satisfaction (which involved "hacking" the NAS box), but now its a sweet backup solution for Time Machine, as well as storage for files I don't want to keep on my notebook HDs.

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

For this type of thing, expect to spend $300-500 minimum unless you have a spare computer laying around and a bunch of free time.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A NAS is significantly more expensive than a USB or FW drive, but well worth the price IMO. Keep in mind that since a NAS is always on, regardless of whether a computer on the network is on, it has to run some sort of OS, have a network adapter, etc. A USB drive is, by comparison, a far simpler device.

I'm using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo, 2 Tb, that set me back about $279 at Fry's some time ago - that was a huge markdown.