Hard Drive Back-up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I am going to install windows xp soon and when i do i want to experiment with changing the partition sizes is there any way i can back up my entire system, i mean everything, all my music, every program, every saved password. then when i completly f*ck up my hd all i need to do it click a button to restore the drive to exactly the way it was when i backed it up.

i'm not not sure if time machine will do this for me. as far as i'm aware it only saves files that were once on my computer. now that i'm thinking about it what's the difference between time machine and the trash bin other than the fancy graphics.

Please let me know

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I've done a full system restore from Time Machine twice on two different computers. Once to recover from a botched BootCamp installation where I accidentally hosed my partition map, and on another computer in order to move Leopard from one drive to another. So despite your low opinion of Time Machine, it's totally usable for a full system recovery.

SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner are also standard options. They have the added option of being able to create a bootable copy.