Hard Drive Binding

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kotis, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kotis macrumors newbie

Is it possible to have two hard drives appear as a single virtual drive under OS X?
    For example say I have a 250G and a 500G drive, can I configure it to appear as a single 750G drive? Binding the two together.

Secondly, is it possible to have a drive be remotely connected over a network, say for example I have a 128G Flash drive in a MacBook Air and have a 1T drive either connected to my Apple Express, a Time Capsule, or storage in the cloud. What I want is for the cloud to back up and to migrate less used files from my SSD storage on my MBA and manage my storage so that seldom used, never used and stuff that does not need instant access is migrated. For example, if I have a bunch of seldom accessed music migration that is fine (as long as I am connected to a network) because even if it is coming over the network, it is still available without delay. The same is not true of an application that would have to be downloaded which would result in a noticeable delay.

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Open Disk Utility, click one of the drives, and click RAID.

The various Airports have a USB port expressly for creating a NAS drive. Before I created a dedicated FreeNAS box, my Time Machine backup was on a 1 TB hard drive plugged into the USB port on my Airport Extreme.