hard drive bluuuues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phelps40, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Phelps40 macrumors newbie

My powerbook froze so I had to manually shut it down. After that it either hung on the grey startup screen or gave me the kernal error screen.
    I took it to the genious bar and they said my drive is dead, it wouldnt mount to the computer and wouldnt target mount to one of their computers, the powerbook reads when there is a disk in the drive but cant access the HD to achive and install again. they said it can probably be recovered but they dont do that.
    does anyone know if Disk Warrior will work for this problem?

thanks in advance yall

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I take it you don't have a recent backup? Even if DiskWarrior or TechTools or whatever recovered the data, the drive itself sounds toasted.

As for data recovery, it might be worth a try if the drive is actually spinning up.

3. Phelps40 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah no back up.. awful. guess im a hard learner.
    should I be able to hear if the hard drive is spinning? i know just with normal use i hear things start spinning inside but dunno if its the fan etc. Ill have a listen when i get home.
    but if its spinning its worth a shot at Disk Warrior? Id hate to spend $100 and not recover anything...

thanks

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is that TechTool Pro is more of the appropriate product, but it's not my area of specialty. The chances are high, either way, that you will sink money in and not get anything useful back out of it, beyond training in how to use (and fail with) the data recovery software. OTOH, it'll probably cost you several hundreds of dollars to pay for the service of data recovery (which is probably a lot more likely, however, to be successful). It's hard for me to advise without knowing what you lost on your computer....

There are threads floating around here, but a quick search didn't reveal a great master thread of discussion on recovering disks.

And yes, the first thing you do after you boot up your computer with a new hard drive is to begin doing regular backups of some kind. :eek: