Hard Drive Bracket in 15" UMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bconeill, Apr 1, 2009.

1. bconeill macrumors newbie

So, I was attempting to upgrade my HDD in my 15" Unibody Macbook Pro and I stripped the screw in the mounting bracket. Took it in to a local Apple repair shop and they said it would be over a week before they could even get to it. Since it won't void the warranty to do the repair myself, I've decided to do so.

My question is: where can I get a replacement screw? They wouldn't sell me the screw or bracket package at the store and all I've been able to find online is the entire bracket package for $27 shipped. Does anyone know where I can just get the screw?

Please help!:confused:

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

It should be a standard computer screw, any PC computer store should stock something that will work (unless it's a special type)

3. bconeill thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't know how standard it is, as it is longer than most of the screws in the UMBP casing with only 4 or 5 rows of thread at the bottom. I'm pretty sure it is a OO Phillips screwhead, but my concern has more to do with the "Geniuses" pissing over a replacement screw, and thus voiding my warranty.

Thanks for the reply.