hard drive caddies for iMacs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ashokc, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ashokc macrumors member

Hey guys I am getting the new imac and have a whole load of ntfs formatted ide hard drives that i want to set up externally to connect to the imac. Can you reccomend any caddies or NAS equipment that will be compatable?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Macs can read but not write NTFS, so you may be able to transfer data one time to HFS or FAT32 formatted drives if you want to directly use the data on the Mac. A Firewire external case would be best for transfer.
    After copying the data, you could reformat the drive(s)

Alternatively, as you mentioned, you could share the drives to the Mac via a network server. Some NAS units will want to reformat the drive before sharing it -- obviously not the thing you want to do. Most NAS units run on Linux variants (not Windows), and don't use NTFS drives.

THe only way to directly share the data that I know of, without copying or the risk of formatting, is to attach then to a Windows machine and do Windows file sharing from there.

3. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I was in a similar situation with my macbook so I ordered two macally firewire enclosures. I couldnt daisychain them becuase they conflicted with each other somehow. I could only run one at a time and that was frustrating so I read up on FreeNas. Since I had a few old pc's laying around I decided to give it a go. WOW is all I can say. Its super easy to use and keeps me from having ext. enclosures laying all around. I put the pc in my closet with a power cable and an ethernet cable hooked up. That's it! It is all administered through a web window. The hardrives show up as network drives and work fine. I know its not the exact answer you were looking for but its what I came up with when I was in your situation. Google FreeNas and you'll find tons of info.

Zack

4. ashokc thread starter macrumors member

I think i will probably end up going with the firewire enclosure. FreeNas does seem great but I just want to get rid of the pc altogether.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

6. ashokc thread starter macrumors member

That newer tech one looks really nice its a shame they dont sell one that allows space for more than one drive!

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might remind them that it's important. Of course, with 1 TB drives, they probably don't want to get into a RAID configuration.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There are any number of NAS drive enclosures that allow you to install your own drives -- the point is though that most if not all of them will require you to reformat the disks, and the data will be lost.