Hard drive caddy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonspot, Apr 14, 2015.

1. sonspot macrumors member

I'm looking to swap out my out my super drive with a second hard drive in a 2010 MBP 15". I already installed a SSD now I need to make up the space.

Whats the maximum capacaity HHD that I can use. My 07 MBP had a 500GB drive.. does it matter what caddy I get, I have a 2TB drive that I want to use.

Thanks

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope, any SATA 2.5" drive 9.5mm or less thick will fit. Mine is a Titan caddy and has been flawless. I have a 1TB Hitachi HDD in mine.

3. sonspot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, can anyone else chime in. I want to know whats the maximum hard drive I can put in a caddy and replace my super drive.

thanks

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- As has been said already, there is no maximum capacity.
    As for the optibay kit/caddy itself, the OWC Data Doubler is generally well-recommended.

5. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

6. sonspot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies, reason why I'm asking is because the caddy's I've looked at say will support up to 750GB or 1TB hard drive. Maybe the chipset for the super drive will only see so much storage or no one updated their info lol.. I haven't looked too much into it, like I said my other MBP had a 500GB in it.. this time I won't use a 7200 rpm drive, the MBP got too hot..

I got a 2TB seagate external drive for a good price so I'm going to rip it out of the enclosure and use it as my second drive, I have a samsung SSD as my main drive right now.

7. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Early 2008 Macbook Pro

I have that same caddy supplementing a Samsung SSD with a 1 TB in the Caddy. Works just fine and if you match up to your 2009 will be fine.

;)

8. sonspot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies.. I replaced the SD with a 2TB drive that I took out of a external case. Not sure why they say up to 750GB. I get full connection speed as well.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That was probably just the maximum available when they wrote the brochureware...

The limit will be the HFS+ architecture, that currently supports 8Exabytes on 10.5.3 or later - which as we say here, is A LOT (thats 8 million TB!)

So plenty of headroom there and we had better hope the SATA interface speeds up before drives get that big :D