Hard Drive Camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by td12, Jun 6, 2008.

1. td12 macrumors newbie

I am looking for list of Hard Drive Camcorders, in the $400-$700 range that actually work with my MacBook Pro. I have recently purchased I Life to get the I Movie update. Please do not send me list of cameras that are not currently available retail, or obsolete.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That list is already available in Apple's iMovie web area.

3. td12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dvd

Thank you, but I was given that last last week at the apple store, there are some changes to it. But, how would I find out if a camcorder on the list actually works with a Mac and I movie, for exp;

I went to buy a Panasonic H18, because Consumer Reports said it worked with it, unfortunately they no longer make or stock this.

So I bought a Panasonic H40, which is not on the list, because the salesperson at Best Buy said it was an updated model that worked with Mac's (it does but only I Photo).

Now there is a Panasonic H60 on the list-how do I know for sure without buying it, hooking it up, and then be charged 60 bucks to return it.

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Best Buy is an authorized Apple reseller/retailer.

Tell them if they want to sell you the camera, hook it up to a display Mac running iMovie 08 and test it out.

Other than that, ask them if they might have the camcorder in an " Open Box ". This is one that was returned to stock for whatever reason but is functional. The benefit here is, if you take it home and it does not work you can return it WITHOUT A RESTOCKING FEE !!!!

Now if you take it home, and it works fine but you are the person who only wants to buy a brand new unit, return the Open Box unit in exchange for a fresh unit and just pay the difference.

WARNING: As far as I know Best Buy has a policy where if you pay CASH for an item and it is over $250 ( refunded amount ) they will not give you cash back, you will be mailed a CHECK from some corporate office.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

I can't find this for anything. Could someone tell me exactly where this list is?
    I'm looking to buy a cam under $1000 and want to jump through the least amount of hoops to do YouTube, etc.. Thanks.

6. SkinnyRaven macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014

7. meagain macrumors 68030

Thank you for posting that!

Gosh, I don't want to deal with tapes but it sounds like they are better quality. My goal is easy of use, less headaches, ease with uploading to various formats, etc. I get frustrated easily with such things if they're a PITA.

8. Lebowski macrumors 6502

if your goal is ease of use then DONT get a hard drive camera. Tapes are the most compatible format right now. You can buy them EVERYWHERE for cheap, they are small and easy to store, and you can easily shoot TONS of footage without having to transfer footage from the hard drive to a computer to make room. Plus, with a hard drive cam, your footage gets put onto your computer... what if your drive in that fails down the road? then you lost your footage. Not a problem with stuff you are just playing with, but events like weddings, birthdays... will be lost forever. You can easily store a box of MiniDV tapes and ALWAYS have a 100% quality backup. And if you think tapes are frustrating, then you will lose your mind with a HDD cam. You often have to transcode footage, and go through extra steps to import into an editor unlike a tape.

The only reason I see to use a harddrive camera is for SUPER fast turnaround times. I shoot for a local NBC affiliate and even with breaking news, I shoot to tape. HDD cams are a PITA.

9. td12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Camcorder Support

The list is at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014

I don't know when they update it, but JVC said that all the Enverio models work with I Movie 08 (except the GZ-HD3, GZ HD5, GZ HD7, GZ HD which require Final Cut Pro with the provided quicktime Component)

JVC was the only manufacturer who directly replied to my inquiry and can be reached at customerrelations@jvc.com