Hard drive cannot be renamed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robinhood626, Nov 20, 2012.

1. robinhood626 macrumors newbie

my macbook's hard drive gave up on me recently. I had my sister bring it to an authorised service centre and had the hard drive replaced.

I have my macbook back but the hard drive was named after my sister. I'm trying to rename it by selecting the hard drive's name then press enter/return but it's not working. I tried renaming other folders that way and it works.

I also tried going to the Get Info, expand the Name section, but the hard drive's name is grey and i cannot rename.

Is there other ways i can rename my hard drive?

I hope someone here could help me. Thank you in advance! :)

Attached Files:

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

Im pretty sure the only way to rename is to re-format it. (erase it).

3. simsaladimbamba

That is not the hard drive, that is your home folder (which is located in Macintosh HD (standard name of storage drive in Macs) / Users / YOU (the name you want to change)).

Either create a new user account with new short name or get risky and do this.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

----------

Nope. One does not need to format a storage drive in order to rename it, even with the OS on it.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

AH do you not, is that a PC thing?

I hadnt even noticed it was the home folder and not the hard drive :rolleyes:

5. simsaladimbamba

If you mean "Windows" with "PC", then no. I was able to rename several C:/ drives with Windows 2000 and onwards without reinstalling the OS.

6. robinhood626 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the procedure on your link. It worked! Thank you very much! :)

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Bearing in mind I havent used a PC since 2004 ;)