HArd Drive Capacity Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angelo488, Apr 28, 2012.

1. angelo488 macrumors newbie

I've seen similar posts like this, but none dealing with exactly this problem. I have a fairly new Macbook Pro. It has a 500g HD, and it says I have 45.57g free. When I add up all the files, it comes to about 70g.

Here is what I've done:
    emptied all caches from all browsers
    emptied the trash
    Ran DaisyDisk, but not sure exactly what I'm looking at.

I even took it to the mac store and they didn't know what the problem was. The guy said he had never seen that before. He suggested I erase everything and reinstall OSX. Unfortunately I can't find the disks.

What I'm working with:
    OSX 10.6.8
    2gh intel core processor
    4g 1333 Mhz DDR3
    500g HD

Please help. My Mac is running extremely slow and this is all I can figure would be the problem. Even if this isn't what's making it run slow, it's still an issue. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. angelo488 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply.

Disk inventory X tells me I'm using the same amount of space as I counted. Not 430g. No luck there.

JDisk says the same thing. No luck there.

Any other suggestions?

4. parish macrumors 65816

parish

This isn't related to Time Machine making local backups (which it then writes to your TM disk when it is connected) is it?

You'll have to Google or search these forums for details as I can't remember. I do recall that it causes problems with reported disk usage.

There is a way to disable it but, again, I can't recall how.

In other words, you probably do have 430GB of free disk space.

The attached screenshot shows what iStatPro reports about my disk - Mobile Backups is the same disk as Macintosh HD

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

6. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Thanks for the links.

Hmm, this prompted me to have a look at my system as the free disk space reported by Finder seems to see-saw up and down. I discovered /.MobileBackups of ~9GB (and the snapshots in there were from this week). I definitely disabled this after u/g to Lion so how has it been re-enabled? During an OS update perhaps?

Anyway, I've now disabled it again :)

7. simsaladimbamba

Do you use Mac OS X 10.7 Lion? If so, have you looked at What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb, which I have (and that Mister GGJstudios dude) linked to earlier?