Hard drive capacity question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mansa, Mar 17, 2009.

1. mansa macrumors member

This might be a stupid question but bare with me I am a newbie.

I just bought a mac book with a 320GB HD but it says the disk capacity is only 297GB. I was wondering why this is.

Help Much appreciated.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That's how any hard drive you buy is going to be. And it varies by brand. I also have a 320GB and it really has 299GB

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It's a math thing. It has to do with the fact that 1000 does not equal 1024. Point is, everything is normal with your 320GB HD showing as about 297.77.

If you need a full explanation or a need to confirm the fact that everything is normal, click the MRoogle link in my signature and search the topic because it's been discussed several times. -GDF

4. Scippy macrumors regular

Wikipedia gives a good explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Gigabytes_vs._gigabits

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

basically, to dumb it down even more: Your drive is 320,000,000,000 bytes, which in fact equals about 297gb, but for simplicity purposes they say it equals 320gb.

6. mansa thread starter macrumors member

Yep math thing not mac thing. I didn't think about that I should remember seeing as I am studying IT and Business. I make the excuse that we are more focused on business lol.

Thanks !

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hard to believe how many threads we have on exactly the same question. Does no one bother to search first? It seems like there's a new version of the same question every other day.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Frankly, I always have a moment when I feel like a sucker or a chump when I search first -- "Here I am, taking my own time to find my own answer, when I could just clog the board with a new thread..."

Then I take a deep breath, say a mani, and I feel better -- about 1.024 times better, in fact.

:)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

11. raremage macrumors 6502a

I'm not convinced it's for 'simplicity purposes' as much as 'advertising purposes.'

It's sorta like buying a dozen eggs and only getting eleven - less inventory costs on the part of the farmer means they spend less to get the same money from you. They could simply advertise it as eleven eggs (which would generate less revenue) or include that twelfth egg (which would increase the manufacturing costs) - but why bother, when they can simply claim it's a dozen, and then include a disclaimer in Wiki that the "dozen" number is an approximation.

It's a bit of a shame that we all just accept this, but it's been going on for so long now that it's pretty well ingrained in the business. At this point, if anyone started calculating drive size based on actual bits, I think people would be more confused, not less!

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I was always under the impression that hard drives are (close) to the capacity they claim but by the time you get your OS and everything installed on there they show lower capacity (obviously)

I'm probably wrong tho..

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah, you're wrong :p I doubt OS X takes about 40GB on my 500GB HDD while it takes 20GB on his 320GB HDD :p

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea I never gave to much thought to it. I just thought that the 'missing space' was due to OS being installed.
    But like I said I was probably wrong!
    Learn something new everyday! ;)

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Nope. It's like buying a dozen eggs and getting a dozen, but the box gives the contents in octal (14) while you count in decimal (12).

16. raremage macrumors 6502a

Well, technically true ;) I just thought that would make the analogy even more confusing.

Although I'd argue that it gives the contents as 12 (octal) when it is really 10 (decimal), since most people think a dozen is twelve.