Hard drive change by mac genius voids your warranty. WTF

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dammit Cubs, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

so I went to the apple store today and I have a 120 gig drive in my MacBook just bought 2 days ago. I asked how would it cost to change my hard drive to 160 just like the black MacBook. They said any change of the hard drive even by a mac genius voids the warranty. Even if the hard drive was bought and assembled in a apple manufacturing plant. WTF

Then what about ram? Both are components and should follow same guidlines. They said what was originally purchased is covered my the warranty. Omg! Its not like the 120 gig mac and 160 gig mac are different. They use the same chipset.

I'm speechless. Doesnt matter anyway. I'll put my own hard drive. This is a very dumb warranty. CAR msnufacturers can't void the whole warranty if you change your moonroof. Same should apply here. Ram and hard drive switch should void only HD and Ram only. And if apple puts it in then it should definetly covered. Wow

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

you were misinformed.

as long as you do not break anything while changing your hard disk out, you should be OK warranty wise, sans hard disk that is.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

hdd and ram are user replaceable components and they shouldn't void your warrenty.

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

i thought hdd wasnt user replaceable?

5. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I thought that the HDD and RAM are user replaceable on a MacBook, however, the HDD is not user replaceable on a MacBook Pro. Correct me if I'm wrong...

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't know about a macbook pro but the hard drive is most definitely user serviceable in the plain macbooks. I would hope the pros would be too but you never know.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yup. The HD and RAM are user replaceable that won't void the warranty. The only thing to note is that Apple will not cover the new HD, as they did not sell it to you (assuming you bought it 3rd party).

Indeed, McGarvels you are correct. The HD on the macbook is very easy to replace; the same cannot be said for the macbook pro HD.:rolleyes:

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ultimately I think RAM is the major issue anyway since Apple charges so much for upgrade

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Even the HD upgrade is a bit too much. It really is very simple for macbooks. If you have the slightest ability to maintain a steady hand, you'll likely do a better job than the "genius."

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

alas, I am now on MBP (when it gets here) so Im glad I got the better HDD

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ah well for mbp, that's a different story. Macbook, forget about it; Apple charges an arm and a leg.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Any work done on your computer by a Mac Genius or any other Apple authorized service DOES NOT void anything. To that degree, if you had a problem with your machine them working on it would void the warranty. I hope that person you talked to got fired. My guess it that they were tired and did not feel like giving you a new HD.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I wish there was a definitive answer to this question.

I must upgrade my HDD while in the AppleCare 3-year Coverage so I would be better off to return the AppleCare.

14. g00degg macrumors newbie

Warrenty

HDD and RAM are user replaceable components.

RAM is easy but for HDD make sure you do it with care not breaking anything else.

Warrenty will not be covered for the HDD and RAM if it is changed but the Warrenty for the MBP or MB will still be covered.

Thats all. Which means in the span of 3 years warrenty if the HDD or RAM is spolit. You have to replace it yourself.

15. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I need ask everyone a favor:

Whenever you have a chance to go to a apple store, you can ask a apple representative this question.

because Everyone in that apple store in sacramento thinks that if I buy a HD from APPLE and have apple put it just like the the 160 gig version, even though it follows spec to a 160 gig model you can get online, it will be void.

whenever you guys get a chance.

Thanks

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ok...how about no?:p

It's really simple for you to call Apple and tell them that you've been told this by the employees in Sacramento. Corporate will be sure to have those employees set straight;)

17. Sayewhat macrumors member

Drop one in there yourself. It takes 5 minutes and doesn't void the warranty. Read your little booklet that came with the useless stickers. If your replacement drive dies on you, no they won't replace that because it is not "theirs." Spend the extra few dollars and instead of the 160g, buy a 250 or 320g. While you are at it pick up 2g of RAM for $70. Your computer will like you for it.:D

18. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Oh Im still going to get the 200 gig instead now, but honestly, i would pay more its just hassle having too many hard drives.

i have one from my mp3 player i never used.
    i will have one from the new hard drive I will buy and put it.
    I will have one from the replacement 500 gig external drive Im getting
    I just bought a 160 gig portable drive that I need for traveling.

It was just an option.

This is the only apple store near my area. I will still call apple. and ask them because they told me that all pricing for this is done through apple store which is why I asked them the question. But when ever you guys, just ask this question if. im not saying jump out of your seat and go there. IF you happen to be there. I would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I'll see what applecare says and reply back.

Thanks.

19. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Hard drive change by mac genius voids your warranty. WTF

I always buy AppleCare agreements for my Macs.

There have been times when the extend warranty has more than paid for itself.

I personally have sent a Mac into Apple repair with a user installed HDD. No problem.

I've also sent in a couple of Macs with user added RAM no problem.

Look at the documentation that came with your Mac, you'll see that right in the manual there are instructions on how to install another HDD. And instructions on how to install more RAM.

If Apple includes these instructions in their manual, it's obvious that these procedures will not void your warranty.

You can have your Mac serviced by Apple Tech Support or at an Apple Store. Sometimes you'll get a negative response from the individual you're talking to. Well call back in to Apple Tech Support and talk to a different person. You'll be amazed at the different stories you get by talking to more than 1 person. So keep calling until you hear the answer you want hear.

If you can not get the response you're looking for, then call Apple Customer Relations, at the corporate offices. They will intervene for you.

In a store don't believe that the person you're talking to is right. If I'm in a Apple Store and having a problem with someone, I always demand to speak to a store manager.

Make good notes, whenever you try to get service, and instead get a bogus response. Then when you call Apple Customer Relations, you'll have your notes available.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't buy the Apple-spec drive, because the Apple replacement parts may come with a rather short parts warranty.

Buy an aftermarket drive with the longest warranty you can. You'll likely be able to get a bigger drive, with more cache and get warranty coverage directly from the manufacturer if it dies.

Place your old Apple drive in a HD enclosure. So if there is ever a problem that may be HD related, it can be swapped back in rather easy.

21. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I know this is a waste of a drive, but i think im going to take my drive and just leave it in my macbook box (protected) in case I'll ever need a hard drive.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The External Notebook HD cases are likely $15-20 if you still have a CompUSA nearby.

Though as you said, you are going to go into accessory overload soon. So being an organized packrat might not be too bad.