Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modestius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I have a small issue that is driving me crazy with my Hitachi Travelstar 7k750. the drive makes a faint "click-click" noise fairly consistently. It's as if the drive is constantly re-engaging itself, the best way i can describe it. I cannot figure out what causes/stops it; makes the noise during processing and while the computer is idle. The drive seems to operate fine, I have no symptoms other than the noise; and unfortunately it is just loud enough to be incredibly obnoxious.

Video of the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZEsH24Qmw

I have contacted Hitachi and, of course, they claim it to be a "software" issue and won't replace the drive. I haven't found anything similar to what I am experiencing on the internets.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

TechStooge

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
I have a small issue that is driving me crazy with my Hitachi Travelstar 7k750. the drive makes a faint "click-click" noise fairly consistently. It's as if the drive is constantly re-engaging itself, the best way i can describe it. I cannot figure out what causes/stops it; makes the noise during processing and while the computer is idle. The drive seems to operate fine, I have no symptoms other than the noise; and unfortunately it is just loud enough to be incredibly obnoxious.

Video of the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZEsH24Qmw

I have contacted Hitachi and, of course, they claim it to be a "software" issue and won't replace the drive. I haven't found anything similar to what I am experiencing on the internets.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

they always do that when loading and such. either that or ur triggering the saftey feature o n it

as long as ur mac isnt crashing ur fine

modestius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Read the link I posted. It's not the SMS.

I did indeed, and i have been here before. However, my other MBPs w/Hitachi drives don't make this noise. This is a self-installed user-updated drive, so it won't be covered by Apple. I would have to work through Hitachi.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I did indeed, and i have been here before. However, my other MBPs w/Hitachi drives don't make this noise. This is a self-installed user-updated drive, so it won't be covered by Apple. I would have to work through Hitachi.
There is nothing wrong with the drive. The noises are normal. Some drives are simply louder than others.

modestius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
There is nothing wrong with the drive. The noises are normal. Some drives are simply louder than others.

Thanks! Not what I was hoping to hear because as i said, it drives me nuts.

Perhaps it's time for an SSD upgrade...

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
I had exact same issue it was ticking random times...

It was my sms sensor thats on top of the drive that detects any movement..

What i did was... Booted and disabled the sms

sh-3.2# sudo pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
womp 0
autorestart 0
halfdim 1
sms 1
panicrestart 157680000
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

then disabled it by

sh-3.2# sudo pmset -a sms 0
sh-3.2# sudo pmset -g

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
womp 0
autorestart 0
halfdim 1
sms 0
panicrestart 157680000
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

I ran it like that for 30 mins ... then did a repair disk permissions and before rebooting i enabled the sms back in

sh-3.2# sudo pmset -a sms 1
sh-3.2# sudo pmset -g

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
womp 0
autorestart 0
halfdim 1
sms 1
panicrestart 157680000
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

see if that helps... if not get a ssd :)

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
All I gotta say is BACK UP your computer now!

I've had noises like this from my hd twice, both times the drive died within a few weeks.

I've had 7 Apple hard drives fail in the last 2.5 years. SEVEN. Granted, they aren't "Apple" hard drives, they are just the typical lowest-bidder. But standard hard drives are unreliable at best. This is why I'm switching to a solid state when I get my new computer.

modestius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I had exact same issue it was ticking random times...

It was my sms sensor thats on top of the drive that detects any movement..

What i did was... Booted and disabled the sms

I will try this out today thank you!! I'll be back later with an update. Thanks everyone for their input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.