Hard-drive clicking, computer slow down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sound Evolution, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Recently my new unibody 17" macbook pro start to act a little weird. It started with regular "clicks" from the hard-drive. I thought the hard-drive is just parking to safe energy and didn't saw any harm in it. But now my computer start to slow down terrible in many occasions or crash. I noticed that when this happened (the crash or the slow down) I often hear the hard-drive clicking and/or bouncing. Is this the sign of a hard-drive that will die soon? or can there an other reason be the cause of this behavior?

With best regards,
    Bas

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I don't think that can be good at all. If you live by an Apple store, you should schedule a Genius Bar appointment.

3. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Is there a way to do a hardware test?

I live in the Netherlands and as far as I know we only have Apple resellers, but no real Apple stores with a genious bar.

With kind regards,
    Bas

4. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Yeah sounds like your hdd is going to die very soon. I've had lots of hdd die and that's what's preceded each death.

5. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Especially internet browsing is extremely slow. However the download of torrents get still very fast.

My macbook pro is hardly a month old btw.

With best regards,
    Bas

6. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter how old the computer is. Sometimes HDD's just suck. You should try to get it in somewhere as fast as you can. Or, if you want, you can try and do it yourself and save a couple bucks.

7. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope Apple is willing to send a new hard-drive so I can do it myself. I don't want to miss my laptop for repair.

With kind regards,
    Bas

8. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Dear,

Maybe a stupid question, but are there Hard-Drives bigger then 500GB for laptops already? In that case I can consider a bigger one.

With best regards,
    Bas

9. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Not yet. Which sort of sucks, but oh well. I wouldn't upgrade that much, anyway, because I think it drains your battery a little more.

10. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me how I can perform a hardware test?

With best regards
    Bas

11. California macrumors 68040

California

Disk utility to repair disk or repair permissions ...

but dude, the hard drive is failing. BACK UP NOW and just get a replacement drive from either Apple or the company you bought this from.

If this is a 5400rpm drive you can upgrade to a 500 7200rpm drive.

Quit trying to forestall the inevitable. Hard Drives fail. It's not Apple's fault. They do not make hard drives.

12. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response,

I am not mad on Apple or anyone, I know such a things can just happend. But I did some search, and I read a lot of equal stories, but some say it is not a hard-drove fault, but something in OS-X with parking the hard-drive and putting it on sleep. That is why I wanted to do a hardware test.

With kind regards,
    Bas

13. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

what the hell is happening here!

Okay guys, I got to disk utility and clicked "verify disk" Then I got an error message like " ERROR: Filesystem verify or repair failed. So I wanted to take a screenshot to show you guys, and this is what I get.. (see attachment) What is wrong with my mac :(

With best regards
    Bas

Attached Files:

14. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

We just told you. The HD is dying. Backup. Now.

15. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe you, and it is the first thing I will do tomorrow. But can that explain I can't make screenshots anymore? and get those weird distorted images?

With kind regards,
    Bas

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

1st veriifed HD failure that's associated with the click beeping?
    Sorry to hear the pain of having it happen - I'd imainge most getting clicking or click beeping are double checking their backups.

17. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Dear,

An update. After I repaired my Disk Permissions (not repair disk) and I verify the disk again.. Now it says it is okay. Strange..... And my internet also don't slow down anymore.

With best regards,
    Bas

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That doesn't change the fact that you HDD is failing and will continue providing these symptoms soon enough.
    Call AppleCare and they will give you instructions on how to ship them your computer. You will be out of your computer for about a week though.
    You can visit AppleCare certified repair shops and they will replace the drive under AppleCare, usually within the same day.