Hard Drive clicking in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazycat, Dec 9, 2008.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I bought my new MBP a about 10 days ago and i am very happy with it. The only problem i have is that the hard drive (it seems) is click every few mins, i would guess every 8 mins or so. I would normaly have the laptop sitting on my desk while i am on my PC and i would hear something like "click click click click click, beep".

I called my friend who owns the same model laptop as i do and he said it was normal his did it as well, he also stated that it only happens when the laptop is flat on the table.

I did replace my laptops hard drive with a 500GB western digital hard drive, i thought that was the root of the problem but my friend did not replace his and he has the same problem. Does anyone know how i can fix this or is it harmless?

Thanks.

2. naid macrumors regular

No clicking in my unibody MBP. However, my first-generation Macbook Air clicks as well. No problems yet, just the occasional clicking. The drive will probably go bad at some point, make sure you have backups.

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

It really depends on what type of clicking it is. With hard drives though, clicking in general is usually bad. If it's a light hum or vibration, your probably okay (new MBPs have a way of amplifying hard drive noise) If it's a heavy clicking, you may want to see about swapping your hard drive out, or at least be religious about backing your data up. I have a WD500 in my new MBP and I don't have any clicking issues.

4. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I dont know how to describe it but it is a little loud, if you have headphones on you could hear it through it, thou i normally listen to it on low volume.