Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Is anyone else noticing this problem? There is a sound similar to a hard drive head 'click' when picking up the MBP even when it is in sleep mode. I'm not completely sure that it is the HD, but was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.

Maybe its just the battery cover.

dantidote

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
My guess is that it's the sudden motion sensor parking the hard drive head to avoid it crashing into the disk.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
yes, mine does this as well. sometimes even when I move the computer even slightly. I'm going to admit, every time it happens I'm afraid my screen is just going to go black and the computer is going to go BEEEEEEEP then fans are going to start revving... :eek:
Mine sounds more like a Clunk than a click as well.

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
I would hope it's not the SMS, because the computer has been in standby when I do it. But, glad to hear it's normal!

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
From Apple MacBook Pro Design:

"Because Apple designs both the hardware and the software for the new MacBook Pro, it’s easier to improve things like energy efficiency. Software tells the hard drive to spin down when it’s not in use."

Anyone know if this is a new feature?

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
My MBP does NOT make clicking noises ever (unless it is doing some very serious HD intensive activities) nor does the Sudden Motion Sensor trigger simply by moving the laptop a little.

I would not call this normal and I'd take it to a Genius Bar. HDs making odd clicking sounds is never a good thing.

Furthermore, if the computer is asleep then the HD should be powered down and off completely and will make no noise. So unless the screen is just turned off this is also unacceptable and this alone warrants contacting Apple.

drewof07: That is nothing new and has been around for many years on many OS systems, well before OS X and even OS 9.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
My MBP does NOT make clicking noises ever (unless it is doing some very serious HD intensive activities) nor does the Sudden Motion Sensor trigger simply by moving the laptop a little.

I would not call this normal and I'd take it to a Genius Bar. HDs making odd clicking sounds is never a good thing.

drewof07: That is nothing new and has been around for many years on many OS systems, well before OS X and even OS 9.

You have the unibody model correct?

I have a powerbook that disengages the head after a period of no hd access, I didn't think it was new.
I'm definitely going to drop by the genius bar on my next trip to the apple store.

I can induce this by simply tilting the computer backwards at a moderate speed (not fast by any means). NOT something I think should be happening with a computer right out of the box...

Also, mine doesn't do this after the RAM dump to the hd before actual sleep.

bullitt2008

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Anyone have a follow-up on this issue? Or whether it even IS an issue or not.

I thought it might also be a HD problem, but I can see a lot of people have noticed this about the new models... It's the HD that's clunking for sure, but its the software which is making it do it... This will stop it and thus prove the theory that it's a software not a hardware issue.

http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/

also, try playing Itunes, mute sound... and can you hear the clung anymore?
your right, it's only when the computers idle it's parking the heads to save power.... bit rubbish really if you ask me.

MacDrummer

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2005
My late 2008 unibody is doing this to when i pick it up, or set down my right hand on the palm rest.

:-/ I may call apple tomorrow to ask them about it.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
My late 2008 unibody is doing this to when i pick it up, or set down my right hand on the palm rest.

:-/ I may call apple tomorrow to ask them about it.

Let us know whats up with it cause apparently a number of us is having the same thing going with our HDs... =D

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Read my blog (address in my sig) I have written about this issue extensively. Also read the Apple support discussions, there is much more information from those two sources than there is currently here at MacRumors....

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Read my blog (address in my sig) I have written about this issue extensively. Also read the Apple support discussions, there is much more information from those two sources than there is currently here at MacRumors....

This isn't the same issue. At least not that I'm experiencing. Our HD's click only when moved. I know the "feature" you are referring to. I have it with my Powerbook when the computer is sitting still.

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I don't have any useful information except to say that I have the same problem with my unibody Pro. Even if the computer is asleep picking it up causes what sounds like a HDD "click". It only seems to do it the first time i pick it up after I put it to sleep.

Its good to know other people are having this problem but I'm worried its going to crap out my hard drive eventually. :(

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I don't have any useful information except to say that I have the same problem with my unibody Pro. Even if the computer is asleep picking it up causes what sounds like a HDD "click". It only seems to do it the first time i pick it up after I put it to sleep.

Its good to know other people are having this problem but I'm worried its going to crap out my hard drive eventually. :(

Just keep your hard drive backed up at all times. We're fortunate to be under warranty but our data isnt.

kmkarim

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Hey, I bought the unibody 3-4 days after it got released and ever since Day 1 the hard drive has made a clicking noise anytime I pickup my laptop. I thought this was a feature of parking the hard drive but after reading this thread I am not sure anymore, does anyone else have any info?

jsbarone

macrumors regular
May 8, 2007
mine does this too. I thought I was the only one. I have this horrible feeling every time that it does it that the hard drive is on it's way out. Can SSD's get cheap and high capacity really soon please?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
It makes the sound when the computer is stationary too. This is a "feature" that can't be turned off. Turning off the SMS doesn't change the idle clicking. I haven't tried hdapm but apparently some have had success with it.

It doesn't bug me that much, but the clicking will shorten the life of the HDD.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
It makes the sound when the computer is stationary too. This is a "feature" that can't be turned off. Turning off the SMS doesn't change the idle clicking. I haven't tried hdapm but apparently some have had success with it.

It doesn't bug me that much, but the clicking will shorten the life of the HDD.

Shorten it? Thats not good. Could it be a 1stGen unibody defect?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Shorten it? Thats not good. Could it be a 1stGen unibody defect?

No. This has been going on for a few years on Apple notebooks under OS X and Unix. It is just much more audible through the thin aluminum than in the past. It's just that all hard drives have a limited number of "clicks" in its lifetime.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
HDAPM can work for most everyone, even those (like me) who thought they could not get it to work on their notebook.

The HDAPM problem is that the original instruction set that most find on the web is not exactly correct.

seriously, go read UPDATE 6 of my blog...

For the rest of you who are new to this issue, go and read my entire blog article, which will explain everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.