Hard drive-connections problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by efoppega, Oct 3, 2009.

1. efoppega macrumors newbie

Bought a WDElements external hard drive and I can`t get it connected to my G4 os 10.4.11.
    On the box it says it will function with 10.4.11. My G4 is old and has not USB2. I have searched the net and found people saying that this shouldn`t be a problem because USB2 is made to be working with USB1. Ok then...what on earth can I do to make it show up on my desktop? When connected to my Mac it will take about a minute before it asks me to: ignore, format or eject. i have tried all three with no help. And finally, yes it works on a new Mac, but not on mine. Any suggestions? hoping for a solution.Erik

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at Disk Utility (Applications > Disc Utility) and saw if it showed up there?

Also what file system did you format it in (HFS+ (Journaled) or FAT32 (MSDOS))?

You can take a look at the Information window (Get Info or CMD + I) with the other Mac.
    Select your HDD/volume and get Info and look under "Format:".

[​IMG]

What G4 Mac do you have?

3. efoppega thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering:)

The WD is fat 32 and it showed up on another and newer mac. In disk utilities it is not possible to do anything with it. The respons is: in/out error. On the good side is the fact that something in my mac will find the WD but sadly nothing more. I have a 867 MHz PowerPC running on 10.4.11 Any other suggetions?

4. stuartm macrumors member

Wd

I am experiencing the same issue.
    I cant see my WD (My Book) when switiching on.
    The ExHDD does power up when the main box is on but it doesnt appear on my desltop until I power the exHdd off then on which is a bit worrying to do this each time.
    I would have expected it to boot up and been seen on my desktop.
    My OS is 10.4.1

5. efoppega thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks stuartm....but...
    it is not the same I think. My exHDD has not got a powerswitch and it shows up in disk-utility. Is it not any program that will allow me to forceconnect it and get it connected?