Hard drive containing Aperture library has crashed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rouxeny, Sep 25, 2010.

1. rouxeny macrumors 6502

Luckily, this is not my primary Aperture library, but another one that I started a few weeks ago as I thought my first was getting a bit large.

I am unable to open Aperture at all, nor can I copy to or from the drive.

Because the drive is (I believe) bad, I can't repair the library, plus, as I mentioned, I can't open Aperture anyways.

I can pull the drive, but then how do I get Aperture to redirect itself so that it opens my original library, instead of trying to open this new one?

UPDATE
    Pulled the suspicious drive from my Mac Pro. On restarting, Aperture asked which Library I wanted, adding that one was no longer available. So, I'm back on the original library and things look to be running fine. Unfortunately, I hadn't vaulted yet, so the last month is probably gone. Luckily, I think I already exported the few keepers I had during that time.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Unless the drive is completely dead mechanically--doesn't even spin up and/or not recognized at all in Disk Utility--you might be able to salvage some data with Data Rescue. It's free to try, so you'll know if it's going to be able to do anything before paying for it.

I'm assuming you already tried a simple "repair" operation in Disk Utility, to rule out minor directory corruption.

3. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, with the drive mounted, I couldn't even get disk utility to open up. Just got the spinning beach ball.

I'm going to let the drive cool down a little, it seemd a bit hotter than the others when I was pulling it.

I kind of doubt that will help, if not, I'll try data rescue.