Hard Drive crash - help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scollie41, Nov 19, 2008.

1. scollie41 macrumors newbie

I just recently bought an iMac a few months ago and the other night my wife was using the computer when it froze. She could not do 'force-quit' so she powered off the machine with the power button and it would not reboot. I tried again several times, only to get to the grey screen and have it freeze. I was able to start from a system disk, but the hard drive cannot be found, so I can not do any repairs etc.

We called apple and they said something is wrong with the drive and to bring it in to a store after setting an appointment. It is under warranty, so any repairs are covered, but I am worried about lost data if the drive is fried.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any Suggestions? Apple tech said they DO NOT do data recovery, but I found this software (http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/detail-features.php) that may work from my laptop to aid in data recovery. I do normal back ups but I'm afraid I have lost a several files for my wife's work, pictures and iTunes purchases that were not backed up.

Thanks in advance!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

When you launch Disc Utility does it see the drive? If not, you're dead in the water and only a disassembly of the drive can save you (hundreds of dollars). If it's there, there's a chance that Data Rescue II can save you, but it's $100.

After you get it fixed, buy an external drive for a Time Machine volume. Think of it as insurance.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

In my experience, DRII can see drives that even DU won't show.

4. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Hard Drive crashed on iMac. I was fortunate AppleCare performed warranty work at my house and replaced the hard drive. They also let me keep the failed hard drive. I've been told it's a long shot to recover any of my lost files, however I'm willing to try.

I am assuming I need to purchase a Sata 3.5 enclosure? Which brand and do I just slip the broken one in it and plug the usb into the iMac? Anything else?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'd get a Universal Drive Adapter and Data Rescue.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I am assuming I need to purchase a Sata 3.5 enclosure? Which brand and do I just slip the broken one in it and plug the usb into the iMac? Anything else?"

You need the following.
    1. Something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

2. Data Rescue III:
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

3. ANOTHER empty hard drive to which to recover the data.

Data Rescue should not write to the problem drive, therefore, you need to buy another "scratch drive" to receive the scavenged and recovered data. This second drive should be as large as (or larger than) the problem drive you're trying to save data from.