Hard drive crash on 2009 iMac, can't restore

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sillystringer, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Sillystringer macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I love(d) my 2009 iMac. A few days ago, the hard drive gave up the ghost. No problem, I said to myself. I've been backed up with time machine this whole time. Apple is so rad!

So I took my iMac to a shop and ha they guy replace my hard drive with a blank one. Then I used the lion thumb drive (I was running lion) to attempt to boot and restore. Fail. Circle-slash.

So I used my old Leopard DVD. It told me, "You can't install Mac OS X on this computer, but you can restore.". Okay, fine with me! It restored from time machine... A restore from 2009. Leopard.

So I tried the lion install on the thumb drive. "You can't install Lion on this computer.". Maybe that's because I don't have snow leopard. Okay, so I put my install DVD back in. "You can't install Snow Leopard on this computer.".

Okay, I think I get it. I did something Apple didn't like. What did I do wrong? And, more importantly, how can I restore back to my old system being held hostage on my external backup drive?

2. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Have you tried booting from your Leopard install DVD or Lion Thumbdrive and then using Disk Utility to reformat your new HDD before trying to install Lion?